How To Properly Clean and Disinfect a Medical Office
Did you know that cross-contamination from improper disinfectant can cost lives? Lingering pathogens from a previous patient can infect new patients, which can be deadly if someone is immunocompromised. For the health of your patients and staff, learn how to properly clean and disinfect a medical office.
High Touch Surfaces
It’s important to clean areas that are frequently touched. High touch surfaces include:
When you are cleaning these areas, be sure to wear gloves. A simple solution of soap and water is sufficient to remove any infectious pathogens, but stronger products may be needed. Always use EPA-approved products for the safety of the environment and yourself.
Depending on the surface you’re cleaning, there are different solutions you can use. Also, some cleaning products recommend taking steps to ensure they work to their full effectiveness:
- Keep the surface wet for a short time
- Wear gloves to protect your skin from irritation
- Have ventilation while using the product
- Dilute bleach with water
- Expired bleach solutions are ineffective against coronavirus
- Bleach solutions should always sit for at least one minute
Whichever product you choose, always read the directions to be sure you’re using the product correctly.
Wearing gloves while cleaning any medical facility is always recommended, especially when handling laundry, like sheets or gowns, and removing trash. You should always protect yourself when cleaning any contaminated surface:
- You might need additional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) like masks or gown if there is a risk of splashing.
- Remove gloves and gowns carefully to avoid getting any pathogens on yourself or transferring to another area.
- Wash your hands immediately after removing PPE or if you were in contact with a person who is ill.
- Hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol is a substitute if water and soap isn’t available.
Understanding how to properly clean and disinfect a medical office is an important task to undertake. You’re protecting your own health and many others’, too!
Do you need cleaning products for your healthcare facility? Order antiseptic supplies online with Quick Supplies Online!